Yesterday was the big day for me. The day I officially became an adult. Turning 18 is something I’ve been looking forward to for many years and now I am finally here. I have grown so much as a person through the last year so I want to share 17 of those things with you.
- It is okay to need help. I used to think I could do anything by myself and that it would feel much better if I didn’t get any help. I was wrong.
- It is okay to ask for help. Usually, no one gets upset if you ask for help. I had to try it in order to figure that out.
- Love is a precious gift. It doesn’t feel good to screw a great relationship up so appreciate the love you get.
- You can’t expect people to know what you think. If you want them to know, you’ll have to tell them.
- There is always another side to the story. Different people have different perspectives on the same situation. I can be helpful to know both.
- Religion is a personal matter that no one should judge you by. It is very difficult for me to accept when people dislike my religion.
- Nothing good comes easily. If you want something really good you’ll have to work your ass off to get it. And…
- Usually, it’s worth it. But…
- Risking everything is not always the best idea when you’re young. You have to prioritise all the things you want.
- Having a lover is great until you want to focus on yourself. And that’s where I am happy I’m only 18 and don’t have to think about marriage and such.
- Friendships are what makes life in high school worth waking up to. Appreciate the people around you and…
- If people don’t want you for who you are, you don’t need them. Then you need your own love and support because…
- You are absolutely amazing just the way you are.
- It is human not to be perfect.
- Planning is helpful but being able to handle spontaneity is a necessity in life. There are so many things you can’t plan anyway.
- “Being positive in a negative situation is not naive, it’s leadership.” I have really taken this quote to me.
- I am capable of so much more than I can imagine. Trust me, I am going to change the world!
Those were the 17 most important things I learned at 17. Of cause I also learned how to use math equations I don’t even remember after 4 months and a lot of phrases in Norwegian which I still remember. But the deep important things… those are the realisations you have to get in order to grow as a person.
Life is so amazing! Though I might not be in the best place right now, I am truly grateful that I learn more and more about life and myself every single day.
Thank you so much for reading this!
Stay happy, stay beautiful
– Ellie xoxo